Hi friends! This time of year is always so busy. Tonight we had our town’s annual Christmas parade and two of our daughters had to march with their bands. Earlier today, I had to chauffeur the oldest and two of her friends around town for a Spanish project that’s due Monday. And my sister has come down with a stomach bug so I offered to keep my 18 month old niece for the night.
With all this running around, I decided tonight was the perfect night for my Chicken Tortilla Soup. Also, since we needed to eat in a hurry, I adapted my recipe for the Instant Pot and it worked wonderfully!
First, I get the Instant Pot preheating by pushing the saute button while I get the chicken out of the freezer. I go ahead and put the frozen chicken, the chicken stock (also frozen from a batch I’d made) and the vegetable stock in. Normally I would use all chicken broth but I have a couple of boxes of vegetable stock in the pantry that are about to expire. Then I cancel the Instant Pot, seal the lid and push Manual for 30 minutes.
While my chicken is cooking, I chop my onion and open and drain the cans I will be using. I also use a small glass dish to measure out all my seasonings.
When the Instant Pot is finished I go ahead and do a fast release on the pressure and pull out the chicken. I add everything to the pan except the corn and beans, I don’t want them to get mushy. Then I shred the chicken and get it back in the pot. I seal it again and set it to Rice for 10 minutes.
When the timer is up again, I flip the steam valve open to do a quick release, keeping the pot on Warm. Then I add in the beans and corn. They heat up pretty quickly in all that hot broth. During this time, I set the table and get out whatever toppings we want to use.
Then all that’s left is to dish it up and enjoy!
I love that this soup isn’t too heavy on the stomach. Unlike Taco Soups with ground beef, the chicken has much less grease and you can keep it fairly light with the toppings.
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Instant Pot
An easy take on a filling soup that is easily adaptable to your family's tastes.
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts or thighs, boneless
- 2 cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans Rotel, not drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 TB. oregano
- 2 TB. Parsley
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2-8 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup white rice
- Put chicken and broth in Instant Pot and set to Manual 30 minutes with pressure valve sealed.
- Prepare other ingredients.
- Do a quick release on the pressure and remove chicken to a plate to shred. Add all other ingredients, except for beans and corn. Add shredded chicken back in and close lid with valve sealed again. Set cooker to Rice for 10 minutes.
- When the timer is over, release the pressure while keeping the Pot on warm.
- Add in beans and corn to heat through.
- Serve bowls topped with sour cream, shredded cheese, jalapenos, fresh cilantro and tortilla chips of desired.